Julie Courtney, CPA
“More than anything else, I enjoy the opportunity to build a deep relationship with my clients. This enables better collaboration, more idea generation and exchange, and ultimately a feeling that we can both enjoy wins and successes.”
Experience and Expertise
Julie has been serving clients for more than 25 years – 23 of those with Shannon & Associates. While she primarily provides audit, review, and compilation services, she also consults with clients on process improvement, internal controls, mergers and acquisitions, and strategic planning.
Her industry experience spans several uniquely different industries including retail and wholesale, manufacturing, professional services, contractors, nonprofits, restaurants and food service, associations and a variety of other closely-held businesses. While her broad and deep industry experience is beneficial to her clients, Julie adds value to her client relationships through a deep understanding of the acute challenges and opportunities they face. Julie is committed to helping her clients achieve their goals and is seen as a true partner in her clients’ success.
Julie is a specialist in providing employee benefit plan audits and consulting and is in charge of this special niche area for the firm. Julie is also a technical resource for the firm as the leader of the Quality Control Team.
With the ultimate goal of providing extraordinary client service, Julie approaches every engagement and client relationship by first understanding her clients’ wants and expectations. By probing deeper during initial and subsequent conversations, she often uncovers problems and issues the client didn’t realize they had. Ultimately, by giving her clients not only what they want, but also what they need, she elevates her role in the relationship from accountant to trusted advisor.
Certifications, Memberships, and Involvement
- Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM), SHRM-CPS Certification and Member
- Human Resources Certification Institute (HRCI), SPHR Certification and Member
- Public Accounting Firm Manager (PAFM) Certification
- CPA Firm Management Association (CPAFMA), member and Washington Chapter President
- The American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA), member
- Kent Chamber President 2021 and past President 2022
- Board Member 2016-2022
- Multi Care Foundation Board Member 2017-2020
- Tahoma Junior Bears Football and Cheer Board Member
- 2019-2022 President
- 2013-2018 Treasurer
- Great Pyrs and Paws Rescue Board Member and Volunteer
- Finance Director, Washington Foster and Coordinator, Adoption Counselor
- Bachelor of Arts, Major in Accounting (Western Washington University)
When not in the office, you’ll find Julie…
…mentoring young accountants, enjoying time with family and friends, baking chocolate-chip cookies, camping and fishing, or traveling to warm and sunny destinations.